The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission was created by joint resolution of the Charlotte City Council and the Mecklenburg County Board of Commissioners in July 1973.
The Commission has twelve members. The County Commission appoints six Commissioners. The Charlotte City Council appoints four Commissioners. The Mayor of Charlotte appoints two Commissioners. Commissioners can serve no more than two consecutive three-year terms.
The Commission meets the second Monday of each month at 6 p.m. in its meeting room at 2100 Randolph Road in Charlotte. The Commission does not meet in July.
The Commission has three principal committees. The Design Review Committee, the Projects Committee, and the Survey Committee. The Design Review Committee makes recommendations on the appropriateness of material changes to historic landmarks. The Survey Committee makes recommendations on prospective designations of historic landmarks. The Projects Committee makes recommendations on the purchase and sale of property.
The Commission has submitted an offer to purchase the
Charles E. Barnhardt House
on Country Club Lane in the Plaza-Midwood Neighborhood. The Commission has been working with the owner and believes that the prospects for preserving the house are promising. The Commission will offer the house for sale with protective covenants in the deed. Designed by architect Martin E. Boyer, Jr., the house was completed in 1938. The plans for the house are in the archives of North Carolina State University.
The Commission has purchased the Phillips House and Morris Barn in downtown Matthews. The property will be listed for sale in the Spring. Toward that end, the Commission is holding a series of
to allow citizens to help decide what is the best use of the property in the decades ahead.
The Commission has submitted an offer to purchase the Morgan School at 500 S. Torrence Street in the Cherry Neighborhood. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is offering the building for sale. Morgan School, designed by Charlotte architect Louis H. Asbury, opened in 1927. It is an icon of the African American heritage of Cherry.
The Commission is making repairs to the Delburg Cotton Mill House at 303 Delburg Street in Davidson. Davidson was a significant center of textile manufacturing in the early 1900s. The Commission believes that saving a representative example of mill housing is important. The house will be listed for sale by the end of the December.
The Commission is involved in attempting to preserve the Siloam Rosenwald School, located near UNCC.
are extremely important in African American history. Julius Rosenwald, head of Sears Roebuck & Co., joined with the Booker T. Washington in developing plans for new schools for African American children in the South. The Siloam Rosenwald School is suffering from neglect. The owners have yet to demonstrate a commitment to its preservation.
Click for Video.