1. Survey Committee Chair’s Report — Jill Walker
2. Consulting Director’s Report — Dan Morrill
3. Prospective Study List Properties
The Highland Mill #1 encompasses a series of structures erected from 1891 through 1992. The 1891 weaving mill expanded in 1895, an 1895 spinning mill to the east, and the addition constructed in 1912 that comprises the complex’s northeast section are intact, albeit surrounded by warehouses completed in 1987, 1989, and 1992.
Daniel A. Tompkins was among the contingent of investors who met on June 15, 1891, to organize Charlotte’s fifth cotton mill, Highland Park Manufacturing Company. In early July, W. W. Phifer sold the enterprise a ten-acre tract north of downtown Charlotte near the Richmond and Danville Railroad switch yard. Later that month, the railroad company began laying a spur line to the mill site. Construction of a 508-by-77-foot brick mill designed by D. A. Tompkins Company and estimated to cost $28,000 was soon underway. Gingham production commenced in early 1892 under H. F. Daugherty’s supervision. Two hundred employees operated five hundred looms in May 1893.
Staff has visited the site and believes that the property is a good candidate for the Commission's Study List.
Back Creek Presbyterian Church
, 1821 Back Creek Church Road, Charlotte.
The Little House is on the Commission's Study List. It is a well preserved example of the Classical Revival style as it evolved in Charlotte early in the 20th century. The house is notable for the integrity of the exterior and interior. The house may be one of the earliest homes built in Myers Park.
Staff believes that the property has the potential to be considered for Historic Landmark status, but that more research needs to be performed. Staff can advise the owners as they continue their research.
8. Old Business
9. New Business